When it comes to hunting, having the right gear is crucial to a successful outing. And for many hunters, a reliable rifle scope is an essential part of their arsenal. But with so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your needs and budget. That’s why we’ve done the research and compiled a list of the best deer rifle scopes under $400.
Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned hunter, these scopes offer high-quality optics, durable construction, and a range of features that will help you take your hunting to the next level. So, grab your rifle and let’s get started!
Comparisons Table Of Best Deer Rifle Scope Under 400
1. Burris Fullfield E1 Hunting Scope
The Burris Fullfield II Riflescope is designed with the enthusiast in mind. It features a simple yet sophisticated reticle for supreme accuracy. The high-grade optical glass provides excellent brightness and clarity that lasts for years, ensuring a durable, long-lasting product. The finger-adjustable, low-profile turrets create a sleek profile that always reflect a change in the point of impact, providing precise shooting.
The power ring is easy to grip and turn, even with gloves, while the eyepiece doesn’t rotate, so lens covers stay in place. The double internal spring-tension system allows the scope to keep its zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations, making it an ideal tool for hunting, shooting competitions, or tactical applications. The Burris Fullfield II Riflescope is also fitted with a nitrogen-filled scope tube to prevent fogging even in cold and rain, and it is waterproof, making it a reliable and durable tool that comes with Burris’s Forever Warranty.
- Reticle designed for accuracy
- High-grade optical glass for brightness and clarity
- Finger-adjustable, low-profile turrets for precise shooting
- Easy-to-grip power ring, even with gloves
- Non-rotating eyepiece for secure lens covers
- Double internal spring-tension system for zero retention through shock, recoil, and vibrations
- Nitrogen-filled scope tube to prevent fogging
- Waterproof design
- Forever Warranty from Burris
- Simple yet sophisticated reticle for supreme accuracy.
- High-grade optical glass provides excellent brightness and clarity that lasts for years.
- Finger-adjustable, low-profile turrets create a sleek profile that always reflect a change in the point of impact, providing precise shooting.
- Power ring is easy to grip and turn, even with gloves.
- Eyepiece doesn’t rotate, so lens covers stay in place.
- Double internal spring-tension system allows the scope to keep its zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations.
- Nitrogen-filled scope tube prevents fogging even in cold and rain.
- Waterproof design makes it a reliable and durable tool.
- Comes with Burris’s Forever Warranty.
- May be expensive compared to other Riflescopes in the market.
- May not have the same level of features as some other Riflescopes in the same price range.
No, the reticle of this riflescope is designed to be simple and easy to use. It provides excellent accuracy and is perfect for shooting competitions, hunting, or tactical applications.
Yes, this riflescope has a double internal spring-tension system that helps it keep its zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations, making it perfect for hunting or shooting competitions.
Yes, the Burris Fullfield II Riflescope is waterproof and nitrogen-filled to prevent fogging even in cold and rain. This ensures that the riflescope lasts for years and is an extremely reliable and durable tool. Additionally, the Burris Fullfield II Riflescope comes with a Forever Warranty.
2. Vortex Optics Crossfire II Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescopes
Looking for a versatile riflescope? The Crossfire II 2-7×32 offers a Dead-Hold BDC reticle, making it great for hunting or shooting at varying distances. Its long eye relief and ultra-forgiving eye box allow for quick target acquisition, while the fast focus eyepiece makes reticle focusing easy. With fully multi-coated lenses, this scope provides bright and clear views, and its capped reset turrets with MOA clicks can be reset to zero after sighting in.
Durability is key when it comes to optics, and the Crossfire II delivers. Constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum, the single piece tube provides strength and is shockproof. The scope is also waterproof and fogproof thanks to O-ring sealing and nitrogen purging. Designed for the toughest conditions, the Crossfire II 2-7×32 is sure to perform.
- Magnification: 2-7x
- Objective lens diameter: 32mm
- Reticle: Dead-Hold BDC
- Eye relief: Long and ultra-forgiving
- Eye box: Quick target acquisition
- Fast focus eyepiece: Easy reticle focusing
- Lenses: Fully multi-coated for bright and clear views
- Turrets: Capped reset with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in
- Construction: Aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and shockproof feature
- Waterproof: O-ring sealed
- Fogproof: Nitrogen purged
- Tough: Designed for the toughest conditions
- Versatile riflescope with Dead-Hold BDC reticle
- Great for hunting or shooting at varying distances
- Long eye relief and ultra-forgiving eye box for quick target acquisition
- Fast focus eyepiece for easy reticle focusing
- Fully multi-coated lenses for bright and clear views
- Capped reset turrets with MOA clicks can be reset to zero after sighting in
- Constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and durability
- Shockproof, waterproof, and fogproof with O-ring sealing and nitrogen purging
- Limited magnification range (2-7x)
- Some users may prefer a different reticle style
- May be too basic for advanced shooters who require more features and customization options.
The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is a bullet drop compensating reticle that allows users to estimate and adjust for bullet drop at varying distances. The reticle has hash marks that correspond to different distances, providing a quick and easy reference point for holdover. This makes it ideal for hunting and shooting at long ranges.
Yes. The scope is designed to withstand heavy recoil and is shockproof. Its aircraft-grade aluminum construction provides extra strength, making it durable and long-lasting.
Yes. The scope is waterproof and fogproof thanks to O-ring sealing and nitrogen purging. This makes it suitable for use in a variety of weather conditions, including rainy and humid conditions. The fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views even in low light conditions, making it perfect for hunting at dusk or dawn.
3. Burris Fullfield II Hunting Scope, Ballistic Plex Reticle
The Burris Fullfield II is a highly durable traditional hunting scope that offers superior, clear optics at an affordable price. Its precision-ground lenses are larger than similar scopes, providing excellent light transmission and clarity. The scope is nitrogen-filled to prevent fogging and is waterproof, making it ideal for use in a variety of weather conditions.
Featuring a sleek, solid 1-piece outer tube construction and positive steel-on-steel adjustments, the Fullfield II is built to withstand heavy recoil and provide repeated accuracy in the field. With its durable design and high-performance features, the Fullfield II is a top choice for hunters looking for a reliable, versatile hunting scope. Plus, it comes with Burris’ forever warranty, ensuring that you can trust your investment for years to come.
- Precision-ground lenses for excellent light transmission and clarity
- Waterproof and nitrogen-filled to prevent fogging
- 1-piece outer tube construction for durability
- Positive steel-on-steel adjustments for accuracy and repeatability
- Suitable for use in a variety of weather conditions
- Can withstand heavy recoil
- Comes with Burris’ forever warranty
- Superior, clear optics with precision-ground lenses
- Larger lenses for better light transmission and clarity
- Nitrogen-filled to prevent fogging and waterproof for use in various weather conditions
- Durable 1-piece outer tube construction and steel-on-steel adjustments for repeated accuracy
- Ideal for heavy recoil and hunting in the field
- Comes with Burris’ forever warranty for added peace of mind
- Limited magnification range compared to some other scopes on the market
- No illuminated reticle option for low-light hunting situations
- Slightly heavier than some other similar scopes, which could affect balance on certain rifles
- May require higher mounts to accommodate larger lens size, which could impact eye relief for some shooters
A nitrogen-filled scope prevents fogging and condensation from forming on the lenses, ensuring clear visibility even in harsh and changing weather conditions.
Yes, the Fullfield II has a solid 1-piece outer tube construction and positive steel-on-steel adjustments that are designed to withstand heavy recoil from hunting rifles. This ensures that the scope will maintain its accuracy and reliability in the field.
Burris’ forever warranty is a guarantee that the Fullfield II is covered for life against any defects in materials or workmanship. This means that if you encounter any issues with your scope, Burris will repair or replace it at no charge, ensuring that your investment is protected for years to come.
4. View Target Like Never Before with Vortex Optics Crossfire II Rifle Scope
The Viper PST Gen II 5-25×50 Riflescope is an incredibly versatile scope that can be used for a wide range of shooting applications. Featuring the Illuminated FFP EBR-7C Reticle, this scope provides precise holdovers at any magnification setting and can be easily sighted-in with the fast focus eyepiece.
With a 50mm objective lens, the Viper PST Gen II provides excellent light transmission and a wide field of view that is perfect for long-range shooting. The turrets are easily adjustable and feature zero stop, making it easy to quickly make adjustments to your point of impact. Furthermore, the scope is fog proof, waterproof and designed to withstand any environment, making it great for rough terrains.
- Illuminated FFP EBR-7C Reticle
- Magnification range: 5-25×50
- Fast focus eyepiece for easy sighting-in
- 50mm objective lens for excellent light transmission and wide field of view
- Turrets with zero stop for quick adjustments to point of impact
- Fog proof and waterproof design for use in any environment
- Versatile scope for a wide range of shooting applications.
- Illuminated FFP EBR-7C Reticle provides precise holdovers at any magnification setting
- 50mm objective lens provides excellent light transmission and wide field of view
- Turrets are easily adjustable and feature zero stop for quick adjustments to point of impact
- Fog proof, waterproof, and designed to withstand any environment
- Price may be a bit steep for some shooters
- Heavy, weighing in at 31.2 ounces, which may affect portability and ease of use for some individuals
- Some users may find the reticle to be too busy or complicated for their liking.
First focal plane (FFP) scopes allow the reticle to change size as the magnification is adjusted, while second focal plane (SFP) scopes keep the reticle the same size regardless of magnification. The Viper PST Gen II uses an FFP reticle, meaning that holdovers are accurate at any magnification setting.
The Viper PST Gen II is ideal for both hunting and long-range shooting. Its adjustable magnification, fast focus eyepiece, and precise holdovers make it a versatile tool in the field. The scope is also built to withstand harsh environments, with waterproof and fog proof features that make it a reliable choice for any conditions.
To reset the zero stop on the Viper PST Gen II turret, simply loosen the set screws on the elevation and windage turrets, then lift the turret and turn it to the desired zero position. Once in place, tighten the set screws to secure the turret in its new position. This feature allows you to quickly return to your zero setting, even after making adjustments to your point of impact.
5. Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical First Focal Plane Riflescopes
The Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44 FFP scope is a top-notch option for those seeking precision and value in their shooting experiences. The extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses work together to deliver a vibrant and clear sight picture. With a glass-etched reticle in the first focal plane, shooters can expect accurate subtensions throughout the entirety of the 4x zoom range.
This scope also features an impressive precision-glide erector system which allows for fast and easy magnification changes, even in rough conditions. The exposed tactical turrets and side parallax knob also make it easy for shooters to achieve extreme precision in long-distance shooting. With its waterproof, fog-proof, and shock-proof design, the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44 FFP scope is a great investment for shooters of all levels.
- Extra-low Dispersion Glass
- Fully Multi-coated Lenses
- Glass-etched Reticle in First Focal Plane
- Precision-glide Erector System
- Exposed Tactical Turrets
- Side Parallax Knob
- 4x Zoom Range
- Waterproof, Fog-proof, and Shock-proof Design
- Extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses provide a clear and vibrant sight picture
- Glass-etched reticle in the first focal plane ensures consistent subtensions throughout the zoom range
- Precision-glide erector system allows for easy magnification changes
- Exposed tactical turrets and side parallax knob enable extreme precision in long-distance shooting
- Waterproof, fog-proof, and shock-proof design ensures durability in various weather and shooting conditions
- Great value for its price point
- Some users may find the 4-16x zoom range limiting compared to higher magnification scopes
- Heavier than some other models in its class at 23.1 oz. It may be cumbersome for lightweight rifles and extended shooting sessions.
The Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44 FFP scope is special because of its exceptional precision and value. It features extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses that work together to provide a clear and vibrant picture. Additionally, the scope has a glass-etched reticle in the first focal plane, which ensures accurate subtensions throughout the entire zoom range. With the precision-glide erector system, exposed tactical turrets, and side parallax knob, shooters can achieve great accuracy even in challenging conditions.
The Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44 FFP scope helps shooters achieve precision in long-distance shooting in several ways. Firstly, the glass-etched reticle in the first focal plane ensures accurate subtensions throughout the zoom range, which helps the shooter make precise adjustments. Additionally, the exposed tactical turrets and side parallax knob allow for quick and easy adjustments, which is crucial in long-distance shooting. Lastly, the scope’s extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses provide a clear and vibrant sight picture, giving shooters the confidence they need to make accurate shots.
Yes, the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44 FFP scope is highly durable. It is waterproof, fog-proof, and shock-proof, which makes it suitable for use in almost any weather condition. The scope’s precision-glide erector system is also designed to withstand rough conditions, allowing for easy magnification changes even in challenging shooting environments. The scope is made with high-quality materials, and its rugged construction ensures it can withstand heavy use and abuse without compromising its performance.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Deer Rifle Scope Under 400
When choosing the best deer rifle scope under 400, there are several factors to consider. These include the scope’s magnification, durability, reticle type, and parallax adjustment. It is also important to consider the brand reputation and warranty, as well as the size and weight of the scope.
|Factor to Consider||Description|
|Magnification||The amount of magnification needed depends on the hunting conditions and the desired range. Higher magnification scopes work well for long-range shots, but are less practical for short-range hunting.|
|Durability||A durable scope should be able to withstand the recoil of the rifle and rough handling in the field. Look for scopes with weather-resistant coatings, shockproof construction, and scratch-resistant lenses.|
|Reticle Type||Riflescope reticles come in different shapes and configurations. Choose a reticle that works best for the hunting conditions and personal preference.|
|Objective Lens||The size of the objective lens determines the amount of light that enters the scope. Larger objective lenses provide a brighter image, but also increase the weight and size of the scope.|
|Parallax Adjustment||Parallax error occurs when the reticle appears to move in relation to the target. Scopes with parallax adjustment allow the user to correct this error at different ranges.|
|Brand Reputation and Warranty||Choose a scope from a reputable brand with a history of producing quality products. A good warranty can give peace of mind and protect the investment.|
|Size and Weight||Consider the size and weight of the scope when choosing a rifle. A heavy, large scope may be difficult to handle in the field or mount on the rifle.|
|Eye Relief||Eye relief is the distance between the ocular lens and the user’s eye that allows for a full field of view. Consider the gun’s recoil and the shooter’s eyeglass prescription when choosing the eye relief length.|
|Focal Plane||The focal plane is where the reticle appears in relation to the variable magnification of the scope’s lenses. It is essential to match the scope’s focal plane with the shooting and hunting circumstances, as it affects the apparent size of the reticle.|
After researching and analyzing various options, it can be concluded that the Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12×40 Riflescope is the best deer rifle scope under $400. Its multi-coated lenses provide crystal clear images, and its durable construction makes it suitable for any hunting environment. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle and adjustable objective offer superior accuracy for long-range shots. Additionally, the Vortex VIP warranty ensures that this rifle scope will last for years to come, making it a worthy investment for any hunter looking to enhance their deer hunting experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-9×40 is considered the best deer rifle scope under 400.
For deer hunting, a magnification range of 2x to 12x can be suitable. However, it also depends on the distance from which you are shooting.
BDC reticle is more suited for deer hunting because it provides a range of holdover points.
No, you don’t necessarily need to buy an expensive scope for deer hunting. Many scopes under 400 dollars offer excellent features and functionality.
Yes, many scopes under 400 dollars are built to last and are waterproof. But it’s always better to check the manufacturer’s specification before buying.
Peter B Brewster is an avid writer who loves to share his knowledge about scopes, binoculars, mounts, sights, and other related products. He has been writing for several years and has gained a reputation for his expertise in the field.